We face a big challenge as we repopulate campus and resume classes. Yesterday the daily test positivity rate in Connecticut was almost 25%. This percentage of new cases of COVID-19 ranks among the highest in the state since the start of the pandemic. Therefore, we will reinstitute the comprehensive safety protocols that served us well last year before vaccines were available. We will also chart our course day-by-day. Here is what parents and students need to know about Sunday’s return to campus and our plan for Monday morning.
• Parents are to share their student’s negative test with their parent contact before traveling to campus;
• Students and parents are to remain masked both indoors and outdoors when arriving on campus;
• Parents’ time in the dorm should be limited to assisting with the transport of belongings (please do not stay to unpack);
• Students are to remain in their dorm until dinner;
• There will be no cross-team socializing on Sunday evening, and teams will be assigned a designated dinner time;
• On Monday morning, all students will meet with their teams to review and discuss the week’s safety plan as we move towards our all-school testing on Friday, January 14.
We hope that everyone’s safe return to campus, strict adherence to proven COVID protocols, and encouraging test results next Friday will allow us to recalibrate our protocols for a healthy and happy life during this winter term. And, speaking of winter, the season’s first big snowstorm just passed through Connecticut, transforming the campus landscape. Click here for a preview of Franklin in Winter. See you soon.